mardi 24 mai 2011

The answer to why people blog

An estimated 150 million people around the world write blogs on the internet. Whatever the actual number, and it rises every day, the majority of bloggers use the internet to reveal details of their personal lives. But little is known about bloggers or why so many expose themselves on the web for all to see - that is, until now.
...


 "We had previously found that blogging may have many social and emotional benefits in the forms of coping, insight and growth, catharsis, as a free space to communicate, through feedback, through recognition and in social support."
...

The survey asked the degree to which each person agreed or disagreed with statements such as "Blogging helps me gain insight into my problems"; "When I'm upset, blogging helps ease my distress"; and "I don't feel as comfortable discussing personal matters in my blog as I do discussing them with friends".

...

"They were less satisfied with their friendships; scored higher on depression, anxiety and stress; and used numerous coping mechanisms to deal with stress. For them, blogging provided an emotional outlet to connect with others and to seek support.

"On the other hand, connected bloggers tended to be less stressed or depressed, more satisfied with friendships, received more comments from others and had more subscribers to their blogs. They used their blogs to communicate with other people rather than solve emotional problems.

"Self-censoring bloggers also blog to communicate but they focus on positive self-presentation rather than the more open style of communication usually favoured among friendship groups."

...

"But blogging, in particular, was related to increased social connectedness and friendships, and improved social integration by connecting the bloggers to friends with similar interests, people they could rely on if they needed something."
...

"The study made me realise more clearly why I'm not a blogger," he says. "I'd really be a self-censoring blogger because I don't want anyone other than my close friends knowing how I feel. I'm one of those people who will tell you how I'm feeling if you ask me but I'm not going to make that available to the whole world and have my boss read it...I don't think so!"

Geoff Maslen
22 May 2011

universityworldnews.com
Issue: 172


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire